- Richest of the Rich position: 168
- Birth/Death: 1805-1870
- Origin of wealth: Industry
- Wealth: £3.2m
- Net National Income: £893m
- Net National Income Percent: 0.35%
- In Today’s Money: £3.884 billion
Born of a Cheshire farmer in 1805, Thomas Brassey trained as a chartered surveyor. At 21, he was made a partner by his employer and in 1834, met George Stephenson for the first time. Brassey won a contract to build a viaduct on the Grand Junction railway line, then under construction. In 1836, as railway building took off in Britain, Brassey was at the centre of the construction activity.