- Richest of the Rich position: 175
- Birth/Death: died 1239
- Origin of wealth: Merchant
- Wealth: £10,000
- Net National Income: £2.8m
- Net National Income Percent: 0.35%
- In Today’s Money: £3.884 billion
It is reckoned that Richard Renger was a London vintner, but he inherited much property from his father. The family descended from a Norman servant of the first Norman bishop of London. The family moved to a higher station through marriage.
At his death in 1239, Renger was worth perhaps £10,000, equivalent to 0.35% of the then net national income of £2.8m. Today that would be over £3.8bn.