- Richest of the Rich position: 174
- Birth/Death: died 1381
- Origin of wealth: Merchant
- Wealth: £10,000
- Net National Income: £2.8m
- Net National Income Percent: 0.35%
- In Today’s Money: £3.884 billion
A bastard, Richard Lyons had an obscure background, though he had apparently completed his apprenticeship as a vintner when he started buying property in London in 1359. By the mid 1360s, he had leases on taverns and around fifty properties in the capital and was also actively buying up manors and land in Essex and Kent. He also lent money to the Crown and was impeached for that in 1376.